Sunday, May 16, 2021

Book Review: GINGERBREAD AND DEADLY DREAD (A Murder in the Mix #4) by Addison Moore

About the Book (from Amazon)

A baker who sees the dead. One too many suitors. And a killer. Living in Honey Hollow can be murder.

My name is Lottie Lemon and I see dead pets. Okay, so on occasion I see dearly departed humans too, but fortunately for me that horrible scenario is not playing out at the moment. Instead I see a beautiful long departed pooch hovering around a questionably two-timing Santa and all his naughty-hottie elves. Quite frankly, it’s a terrifying sight considering the fact the fantastic phantasm is an ominous harbinger for its previous owner. 

So when I find my sister’s boyfriend face down in the snow with a handful of my tasty gingerbread treats I’m not only sorry for him, but I’m very sorry that I had a blowout with him in front of the entire town of Honey Hollow. And just like that, I get the one thing for Christmas I did not ask for—a number one spot on the suspect list. I have a feeling this is going to be one Christmas I’d rather forget. 

Lottie Lemon has a brand new bakery to tend to, a budding romance with perhaps one too many suitors, and she has the supernatural ability to see dead pets—which are always harbingers for ominous things to come. Throw in the occasional ghost of the human variety, a string of murders, and her insatiable thirst for justice, and you’ll have more chaos than you know what to do with. 

Living in the small town of Honey Hollow can be murder.

Review

A Christmas cozy, Gingerbread and Deadly Dread appropriately has a baker, Lottie Lemon, who is busy baking holiday treats. Only her Christmas may be spoiled when she finds a dead body and is a suspect given her recent fight with the victim and her gingerbread treats. As she endeavors to find the real killer, she has help from Dutch, a furry - but dead - dog, her friend, Everett and her boyfriend, Noah. Not surprising, adding Christmas to the mix, there is a lot going on in the small town of Honey Hollow. 

This is a solid cozy mystery, with clues that lead the reader astray, distractions, and Dutch. If you're looking for an interesting twist on a Christmas cozy and enjoy the paranormal, you will likely enjoy this one. And there is some sense that Everett and Noah are both vying for Lottie's attention. This is the fourth in the series and intended to be a stand-alone mystery. As with most cozy mysteries, the relationships of the core characters evolve with each new book - my advice is to start at the beginning.



No comments:

Post a Comment